Where I rant and rave about all things tech
Windows 10 9860: Fix OneDrive Popup on Logon
So while I was setting up 9860 on a PC I noticed a interesting bug that isn’t necessarily a show stopper, but rather extremely annoying. After setting up a Windows account and linking it to a live ID, on every single blasted logon you get the popup for the initial OneDrive setup screen. And no matter what you hit it pops up again on the next logon, making for an extremely frustrating experience. Fortunately the fix, a workaround of sorts, is not very difficult to accomplish. Here’s how.
- Open a command prompt as admin
- Your current directory should be %windir%\System32, if it isn’t, go there
- Type “takeown /f RestoreOptIn.exe” without the quotes
- Type “icacls RestoreOptIn.exe /grant Administrators:F /q” without the quotes
- Type “ren RestoreOptIn.exe RestoreOptIn.exe.bak” without the quotes
- Reboot your system and the popup should be gone
I have used this procedure on 2 separate machines now and have not noticed any adverse effects from doing so and have not lost any functionality, OneDrive still works exactly as it should and Settings sync works as well. If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment!