Chris123NT's Blog

Where I rant and rave about all things tech

Building Arcturus Part 4 The Final Chapter

I know it’s been a while, thanks to that thing called a job that makes me money that pays for the ever increasing price of gas, but I am back with the final part of my build log for my latest rig, dubbed “Arcturus”.

There actually is one other reason I waited so long to post this part, and that is because I wanted to make sure the new tubing did not have the same problem as the old tubing, which I am about to talk about below.  So without further ado, let’s get started.

Tubing Issues

After encountering the issues with the blocks, I almost immediately noticed a disturbing issue with the tubing.  Within days of putting in some new lengths of Danger Den Dreamflex UV Red tubing, I noticed that it was beginning to cloud.  Well surely it couldn’t be corrosion, as it would not happen that fast, and it couldn’t be the coolant as I was using distilled water + PT Nuke PHN (NOT CU).  So I decided to look into the issue.  I came across a thread on overclock.net where many people were having the same issue, and the issue was plasticizer buildup on the inner wall of the tubing.  This seemed to be a result of a reaction with fluid going through the tubing, and it didn’t seem to matter what kind of fluid.  Everyone was having the issue regardless of type of coolant.  With this information I decided to dismantle my system and examine the tubing, and what I found was rather disturbing, have a look at the picture below:

IMG_8804

 

As you can see, there is a buildup of white gunk on the inside of the tubing, this was present inside all lengths of tubing throughout the entire loop.

So upon further research, a forum member on overclock.net named skyn3t, recommended a tubing called Durelene.  He said he was trying it and after about 2 weeks so far was not having any clouding.  So I decided that I was going to try it.  I headed over to sidewinder computers and ordered 20 feet (so I’d have extra) at a very reasonable 69 cents per foot.  Once I got it I was rather impressed with just how clear it was, and it was extremely flexible which was an added bonus.  Here is a picture of the tubing:

IMG_8747

 

I immediately started the process of installing the tubing in my system.  I also took the opportunity to change some things and rebuild the system, all of which I will outline for you.

 

The Rebuild

Not only did I decide to replace the tubing, but I also decided to replace the fans.  I was previously using Phobya nano G2 1500 waterproof fans, and while nice looking, they are total junk.  I had a good half of them start to experience bearing failure to the point where they wouldn’t begin to spin on powerup unless you gave them a “nudge”.  So I decided to replace all of the fans with Corsair’s AF and SP series performance edition fans.  The SP fans went on the Radiators, and the AF’s functioned as case fans.  I wired all of these fans to my fan controller so I can have them quiet, or pushing a ton of air and being not so quiet (for benching and high overclocks).  Here are some pictures of the fans themselves as well as some pictures of them mounted to the radiators:

IMG_8712 IMG_8729 IMG_8739 IMG_8742 

 

As you can see, these fans look great on the rads, and with the color rings, they fit in PERFECTLY with the color scheme of this build (black and red for those who don’t remember).

Next I set out to route the new tubing, and I decided to change the routing a bit to reduce the amount of tubing used in the system and streamline the flow.  Here are some pictures of the installation process of the tubing:

IMG_8756 IMG_8764 IMG_8769 IMG_8821 IMG_8844

As you can see, the new routing is much better, and the tubing is clear, which I wasn’t sure how it was going to look at first, but afterwards I really like how it looks in the system, especially with the red LED lights turned on.  Below are some pictures of the machine all finished with this new configuration:

IMG_8851 IMG_8852 IMG_8862 IMG_8863

Conclusion

I hope you all enjoyed this build log as much as I enjoyed writing it.  One other thing I would like to mention on the topic of the tubing.  It has been 2 months since the installation of the tubing and I am happy to report that it is still as clear as the day I installed it in the system.  So if you are looking for a good quality tubing for your rig, definitely give Durelene a try, you won’t regret it.

Feel free to ask any questions in the comments below.  And I’m also considering doing an overclocking guide for x79, so if you’d like to see that let me know in the comments.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

September 2012
S M T W T F S
« Aug   Oct »
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  

Categories